Creativity~ More Than One Right Answer
When I teach a design course, students are encouraged to brainstorm and draw multiple sketches of many ideas. After this, they are to select the idea that is most creative and best meets the design problem. It’s interesting to me that there are always a few who have one initial idea and want to immediately begin their project.
Why is idea generation important to the creative process? Because as Dewitt Jones, photojournalist, says, “There is more than one right answer…” Using divergent thinking, we think of multiple answers and solutions and then select an idea to develop through experimenting, playing,and improvising. We can evaluate as we go, making changes as needed to the design.
In using creativity in problem-solving in art, as well as in life, the focus is on considering multiple possible answers and eventually selecting one vs analyzing to discover the one right answer… Many times it is not the initial idea that has the most creative outcome… Use creativity and discover more than one right answer.
- Dewitt Jones, photojournalist (dewittjones.com)
- Living Life Using Creativity (jonibeach.com)
- Creating Our Futures (creatingreciprocity.wordpress.com)
- Stimulating Creativity and the Brain (eideneurolearningblog.blogspot.com)
- Physical Act of Creativity. Moving helps. Research. (creativityland.ca)
- New Insights on the Creative Brain (psychologytoday.com)