- 2006 Postdoctorate, Human Development/Family Studies, Virginia Tech University.
- 1999 PhD, Clothing & Textiles/Social Psychology (Interdisciplinary with Human Development and Teaching & Learning), Virginia Tech University.
- 1998 MS, Apparel Design & Product Analysis, Virginia Tech University. Research focus: Design Process & Human Creativity.
- 1977 BA, Music Education, Voice/choral, Harding University.
- 1974 AA, Music education, Voice, Freed-Hardeman University.
- 2002-present. Textile Artist/Educator, Private studio. Creation of textile art: mixed media, art quilts, and artwear. Developer of Lifeweavings: A Creative Journey seminar.
- 2003-present. Educator, PhD, CFLE, Human Development/Family Studies, Self-employed. Developer of Creative Parenting seminar and Lifeweavings: A Creative Journey seminar.
- 2006-2008. Adjunct Professor-Apparel Design, Department of Apparel, Housing & Financial Management, Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, VA. Advanced Apparel Assembly and Apparel Structure & Fit.
- 2006. Adjunct Professor, Department of Human Development/Family Studies, Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, VA. Individual & Family Risk and Resilience.
- 2001-2002. Assistant Professor, Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX. Professions in FCS, Basic Apparel Construction, Basic Textiles, Internship in Fashion Merchandising/Retail Math, and Clothing Selection and Management.
- 1996-1998. Graduate Assistant/Teaching Assistant, Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, VA. Introduction to the Fashion Industry and Design Appreciation.
- 1977-1998. Independent Music Teacher, Teacher of Voice, Piano, and Music Theory; Private studio teaching, students ages 4-adult.
- Certified Family Life Educator, CFLE–Provisional. National Council of Family Relations. (2007—2012).
- Nationally Certified Teacher of Music, NCTM, (1984-Present) Permanent Professional certificate, (1999). Music Teachers National Association.
- Teacher Certification, State of Virginia. Music education—K-12. (1993-1998).
- SAQA, Studio Art Quilt Associates, (2005-present).
- NCFR, National Council of Family Relations, (2000-present).
- MTNA, Music Teachers National Association, (1983-present).
- ITAA, International Textiles and Apparel Association, (1997-2008).
- NEGS, Near Environments Graduate Students Association, (1999).
- CTGA, Clothing & Textiles Graduate Association, (1996-1998).
Honors & Awards
- Phi Kappa Phi, (1997-present)—Honor Society, interdisciplinary, university-wide.
- Kappa Omicron Nu, (1996-2010)—Honor Society in field of Family & Consumer Sciences.
- Mary Margaret Barry Award, (1998)—Graduate scholarship presented by the Virginia Association of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Design Consortium, (Spring 1996)—Weekend-long, interdisciplinary team design project and competition.
Juried & Solo Exhibits
- 2015 A Different Perspective, Juried Exhibit, Sacred Threads 2015, July 10-26, Herndon, VA.
- 2014 Lifeweavings: A Creative Journey, Solo Exhibit, Wallace Hall Gallery, Sept. 12-26, 2014, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA.
- 2014 Lifeweavings: A Creative Journey, Solo Exhibit, Blacksburg ArtWalk, Feb. 7-April 26, 2014, Eucalyptus Massage Center Gallery, Blacksburg, VA.
- 2006 Sea Images #1 and Metalworks #2, Postcard art quilts, June, 2006. SAQA Member Invitational, Mary Beth Bellah, curator, Artisans Center of Virginia, Waynesboro, VA.
- 2003 Human Diversity and the Common Thread, Art quilt, Juried Design, February, 2003, Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival Competition, Williamsburg, VA.
- 2001 Asian Whisper, 1st Place Amateur Entry in the Full Ensemble category, Wearable Art, Juried Design, February 22-25, 2001 Mid-Atlantic Wearable Art Festival VII Competition, Williamsburg, VA.
- 1996 Black Satin Nights, Best in Show Design/Graduate, Department of Clothing & Textiles, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA.
- 1992 Blacksburg Antique ShowSale & Quilt Show, 3rd place, Novelty Division, Dense-quilted jacket, Blacksburg, VA.
- 1991 Blacksburg Antique ShowSale & Quilt Show, 2nd place, Novelty Division, Dense-quilted jacket, Blacksburg, VA.
Beach, J. L., Kincade, D. H., & Schofield-Tomschin, S. (2005). Human complexity: Development of a theoretical framework for the clothing and textile’s field. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 23(1).
Beach, J. L., & Kincade, D. H. (2003). Just a straight stitch. ITAA Proceedings, 60. –ITAA Conference, November 2003. Description of poster presentation on a Creative Teaching Idea. Student’s design and assemble a strip-pieced quilt block.
Beach, J. L., & Kincade, D. H. (2000). A grounded theory study of systems theory and clothing and textiles theories for the development of a theoretical framework, ITAA Proceedings, 57. –ITAA Conference, November 2000.