At the first of the week I wrote about a new beginning for the new week…part of the plan was to begin new artwork in the studio. And on Monday I did! This photo of the bottom side of a flower that I photographed in a garden a few weeks ago has intrigued me–the vibrant yellow, red, and green colors, as well as its line and shape.
In a college art class I experimented with Photoshop, editing a photo and making a resulting sketch from it, but I have not taken the time to do the same in making an art quilt. I have decided this is a perfect technique for a wall hanging using this photo as inspiration.
Since I do not have Photoshop on my computer, I tried its more simple Paint feature. After downloading the photo, the brush was used to outline the main lines in black.
Dotted lines were used to remind me of shadows, variations, and underlying petals.
This image was then printed out onto several sheets of paper as large as I could get it using this software…
Hopefully, I will be able to get a bigger image with the poster setting on my printer. While this is not a new technique, it is not one I have used with my equipment. As with any creative process and new art project, experimenting and improvising is necessary–of course this is also the fun part!
Laying out the sheets of paper, trimming, and taping them together will give me a pattern from which to copy pieces, cut out fabrics, and construct the wall hanging. That will be phase 2 of this project!