In the studio, as in life, many times I feel I am spinning my wheels without making much movement forward…even though I have been busy working on many tasks. Why is it difficult to understand that these smaller tasks, or micromovements as SARK in her book, Make Your Creative Dreams Real, A Plan for Procrastinators, Perfectionists, Busy People, and People Who Would Really Rather Sleep All Day (2004) calls them, are very important in reaching the end goals. Perhaps my long-term goals, while important, overshadow the now and add unnecessary pressure, instead of guiding my process and outcomes. I lose the joy of being creative and the sense of play, improvising, and experimenting.
So what have I accomplished today? Well, the top of my desk is organized! Also, the Art Portfolio on my website needed revising so it now has a new look and organization. [Be sure to check it out!] It helps to see my current body of work and gives me ideas of where to head next! So perhaps this is, after all, an important stage in the creative process–a time to organize, generate new ideas, and think of future goals–
The conclusion? Even though some days it feels like spinning wheels, going @…maybe there really are micromovements forward!
At the first of the week I wrote about a new beginning for the new week…part of the plan was to begin new artwork in the studio. And on Monday I did! This photo of the bottom side of a flower that I photographed in a garden a few weeks ago has intrigued me–the vibrant yellow, red, and green colors, as well as its line and shape.
In a college art class I experimented with Photoshop, editing a photo and making a resulting sketch from it, but I have not taken the time to do the same in making an art quilt. I have decided this is a perfect technique for a wall hanging using this photo as inspiration.
Since I do not have Photoshop on my computer, I tried its more simple Paint feature. After downloading the photo, the brush was used to outline the main lines in black.
Dotted lines were used to remind me of shadows, variations, and underlying petals.
This image was then printed out onto several sheets of paper as large as I could get it using this software…
Hopefully, I will be able to get a bigger image with the poster setting on my printer. While this is not a new technique, it is not one I have used with my equipment. As with any creative process and new art project, experimenting and improvising is necessary–of course this is also the fun part!
Laying out the sheets of paper, trimming, and taping them together will give me a pattern from which to copy pieces, cut out fabrics, and construct the wall hanging. That will be phase 2 of this project!
But for now, I think it is time to go sit in the hammock and brainstorm some more… 🙂